AC Tool Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Triane

Aggregate Links regarding Datasets

There've been all kinds of people asking questions about DataSets. No surprise, given how powerful they are, and, at least initially, confusing they can be to figure out. In an attempt to head-off all the repeated messages it seems like we keep re-posting everytime someone new tries to work this stuff out, here're a pile of links they can read BEFORE asking...

In no particular order:

-Triane

If you still do not understand after reading all of that, and you did read them I hope, then ask.

PS: If anyone finds any other good threads not already listed (regarding the use/application of Datasets), please let me know, I'll be more than happy to add them to the list!

-Triane

After thinking about it for a bit, I decided that I'd sit down and take a swipe at trying to write a somewhat comprehensive Howto guide for working with Datasets.

So, after about 2 days' work, here's my first kick at the cat:

An ACTool Dataset Primer

by Triane of Leafcull [downloads=54]

Comments welcomed!

NOTE: There's an UPDATED version of this further down in the thread. The formatting might not be perfect, but the text is more complete (IMO) Click here to jump to the message with the update.

-Triane

An_ACTool_Dataset_Primer.doc

Edited by The WABBIT

If that’s your first kick at the cat I wonder what kind of documentation you could generate if you were given two weeks and 4,000 bucks of incentive =) not that I have 4k just laying around ;)

Thanks for all the positive responses, I'm glad the primer was indeed useful!

There were some things about it that I wasn't happy with, and some additions I wanted to make, so here's an interim update to the original. I need to work out some formatting issues I'm wrestling Word over, but the content is updated and (hopefully) accurate!

-Triane

An_ACTool_Dataset_Primer.doc

Cam just posted a message containing more detailed information on the DSFilter parameters than I have ever seen! Accordingly, I updated the links at the top of this thread to include it!

-Triane

Some of the links stopped working before we were raped though and I do believe this was one of them.

I don't think Triane is around the forums anymore but a year or so ago I did see him at another place on the net briefly (not macro related).

Isnt this the primer that was added into the AC Tool installer? Something similar to this was anyhow.

Lol -- I'm still around, a little ;)

When I wrote the primer, Cam liked it and included it with ACTool distributions starting around that time. Unless that's changed, it should (theoretically) still be included with ACTool.

I haven't programmed ACT in a couple of years since I've had to learn Java/PHP for work (I wasn't working f/t when I was programming ACTool a lot). But I haven't entirely disappeared either!

At any rate, if the file isn't included in the ACTool distribution any longer, I can find it and send it up again. :)

-Triane