AC Tool Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pon

Keydown causes my PC to freeze

delay 3 sec
keydown p 8 sec

I tried it on two separate laptops with Windows 10 and it has the same problem

Okay, after watching your vid of the problem. And I ran some tests on my end to make sure of what the actual problem is.

The problem is not with AC Tool and the problem is not with using the KeyDown command in your macro. The problem is with Windows and Notepad, specifically Notepad.

Let's do a simple experiment. Open Notepad, then press and hold the 'p' key down for 8 seconds.

What you would see is the following:

pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

What you end up with is about 374 p's. That's about 46.75 p's per second. That's a lot of p's.

Now, if you were to have AC Tool do the same with the KeyDown command for 8 seconds. What would happen is that AC Tool would end up sending the following:

ppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

HOLY MACRO Batman! What you have here is 8000+ p's. That's 1000+ p's per second being sent to Notepad.

Notepad, and many other document editing programs, can not receive 1000's characters per second. You'll be lucky to find one that would be able to keep up with 100 characters per second.

The problem with these programs is two fold:

1. They have a buffer that all key presses go into until it is processed by the document.  And then deleted from the buffer. If this buffer fills up, then all additional key presses have to wait until enough characters in the buffer is processed, and then removed, to be added to the buffer.
  2. The developers of these programs have also added safe guards. To help keep malicious programs from injecting large amounts of characters to the editing programs. This could cause the program to either Crash to Desktop (CTD) or cause the program to freeze or even completely lockup your computer.

Because of this, sending large amounts of characters to Notepad will cause it to become Unresponsive. Until it can process all of the characters it is receiving. And it will also cause AC Tool to become Unresponsive until it can finish sending all the characters to Notepad for the 8 seconds it is supposed. Even if it actually takes longer than the 8 seconds to do so.

The reason that you only see a single letter p when using AC Tool to send a character to Notepad. And you see a buck of characters if you press and hold down the character key(s).  It is because of the safe guards that are added. And it only effects key presses being injected to the program by another program.

Now, you should not have this issue when using AC Tool with Games, especially modern games. The reason for this is that the developer(s) have created the game to process keys being press, or injected, as quickly as possible. But, they do have their limits. Either the key is being pressed, or injected, too quickly for the game to register that the key was pressed, or injected. Or the amount of keys being pressed, or injected, is too much for it to process. Causing the game to become unresponsive until it can catch up.

Now to solve your problem what you need to do is use the KeyRate command. You will need to look AC Tool Help file to find out how to use it.

I would recommend that you use a value of 10. And you need to add the KeyRate command at the very beginning of your macro.

But, if during your testing with Notepad you find that you are still having problems with Notepad becoming unresponsive. Then increase the value by 5, until such time as you do not have that problem anymore.

is there a way to get it working with windows 10? it used to work many years ago. i mainly wanted the turbo button held down for a game. the above is a just an example. i've tried keyrate too and it also doesn't produce the effect i was looking for. i've also tried setting the controls to shift, left, right, instead of p. it all freezes the game until the seconds expire.

I ended up finding a working around, i opened Windows 10 On screen keyboard, and i used the leftclick function to have it press the Left key then i use keys to have it rapidly press the p key. it doesn't lag or freeze when using the Keys command

MousePos 1474, 446
delay 100 
LeftMouseDown 1 sec
delay 300
keys pppppppppp
delay 300
LeftMouseup

and this was the effect i got

Edited by pon

First off, you state that the original code worked "many years" ago. But you do not state what year that was. Nor do you say what game, or program, you were using it for. And you did not state what version of Windows you were using at that time.

So, I can only assume that the problem might be because of Windows 10. I can not really say.

But, then after watching your vid. I see that you are playing what looks like NBA Jam. And since there is no version of NBA Jam for the PC. That means you are running it through an emulator. But, I have no idea if this is the game that you played many years ago when the code worked fine for you. With that in mind the problem could be because of the emulator or Windows 10 or both.

The only advise I can give you on this is the following. If your problem is with this specific game. And you played it "many years" ago. Then what you need to do is use the exact same emulator that you had used "many year" ago. That also means the exact same version of the emulator from "many year" ago. If the problem goes away, then you know it is the current emulator, or version of the emulator, that you are using.

But, if the problem does not go away, then you know it is a Windows 10 problem. Or this is not the game that you played "many year" ago. Then what you can do is try the following:

1. Make sure that you are using the latest drives. DO NOT USE THE BUILD IN WINDOWS 10 GENERIC DRIVERS. But, get the drivers from the Manufacture of the devise installed in your PC.
  2. Make sure that no other programs or services (except those that are require for your PC to run and to protect it), are not running in the background.

If this does not help to fix the issue. Then I would do a Google search for Windows 10 unresponsive program app.

You well receive a whole lot of search results for ways to help fixing this problem.

Note, AC Tool is a 32-bit (x86) program as such it may work better with 32-bit (x86) versions program certain programs. But, in general there should be no compatibility between Windows 10 and AC Tool. At least no one has ever made the claim that there is one, that I am aware of.

So, if there is any compatibility problems. Then the compatibility problem is cause by the game/program/emulator and windows 10.

regardless of what game it is the keydown function isn't working and causes Windows to pause. isn't that what development is all about? users submit issues and developers look to fixing it instead of dismissing it if they truly care enough about their project.

i imagine the keydown function is common usage. it'll be like me hitting up microsoft saying the Right-click button causes the PC to crash. And if I notice the issue on multiple computers and other people mentioning it too then I know it's not just a issue on my end.

If you must know, I use the right click function since Windows 3.11, and Windows 10 did have a issue with it causing the desktop or file explorer to freeze. They eventually fixed it as they should.

as for the keydown function in ACtool, i've been using it since Windows XP for games like Maple story. I've also used it in Windows 7 to help assist me in a project. I can't recall if I used it in windows 10, but I would like to use the function. What game or program it was used for is besides the point as the keydown function isn't working like it's supposed to whether it's with notepad, videogames, emulators or macros

also, I'm not a power user of Actool or anything, I only use it when i need it to help assist me in something like in my video above where I can't control all 3 players at once. After I achieve what it is I was trying to do I may not use it for years so it's not something I come back to often. I eventually found a workaround by using the LeftMouseDown instead of the keydown. However in the future I would like to use the keydown instead as it's more easier. I've also searched for this issue on this forum and found another user with the same problem back in 2020 and it was met with same dismissiveness as shown here.

Edited by pon

I use keydown in 4 games using windows 10 GhostSpectre Pro Version.

I have no problems at all. Been using keydown on Win 10 when it was first released as an alpha version. Started with Win 7.

One of my games I have 6 logins on the computer and in the code, all use keydown (X) to do a specific instruction.

Please put up the link to the users post. I would like to see it, but too lazy to go hunting myself. (didn't find it first look for it)

Attach ALL your code, or send it to us. We can put it in the Moderators Only Section and look at it for you, as we running blind now, need something to see.

here's the other thread i read having the same issue: 

That's odd that it works on your end, I've tried it on 3 different laptops, my Alienware 15 R3, Aspire 5, chromebook with windows 10 and it all has the same issue. I do have a desktop with Windows 7 but it's not plugged in. I'll test it on there later, pretty sure it'll work on that.

I also uploaded a new video showing the issue as well as the leftmousedown workaround i did:

Sometimes you may have to put yourself in the mindset of a beginner who is absolutely new to installing this. I've noticed that those who are experienced at something may optimize or configure settings that the average person may not do. 

As for my script, a few days ago I downloaded ACTool_v5511 to help me out in performing something in a game, I haven't used Actool in maybe 3 years so I was going to write it from scratch. before I did anything i did a simple test to make sure it works:

SetActiveWindow Asheron's Call
delay 2 sec
keydown {RIGHT} 8 sec

my idea was to write a script to control two players by having 1 perform a dunk while the other swipe the ball to steal it, then I control one of the players to complete the alley oop glitch. To perform a dunk a player need to hold down turbo, then run towards the basket and press the shoot button. 

Since the keydown function didn't work at all I didn't really think it was necessary to try and write a elaborate script. So what I ended up doing was using two controllers who control player 1 and 3 manually, and I configure player 4's turbo on my left trigger button, and I use ACtool to make player 4 (naruto) move left and then press the shoot button which i assigned to the key P.

and this is the script I used:

delay 1 sec
MousePos 1474, 446
delay 100 
LeftMouseDown 1 sec
delay 300
keys pppppppppp
delay 300
LeftMouseup

it took some practice but after a few hours I eventually figured out a formation to line up the players and get the trick shot to land. So at the moment I'm not in need of Actool, but in the future I would like the keydown function to work properly on my computer.

Ok, regarding that thread, the member did not show any code so we came to a stop, no code = no idea where or what to help with.

This is from one of my games (Earth and Beyond Emu) where I run to a door and it needs to line up or my character misses.

As you will see it needs to be very accurate with turning or it misses, and needs to run for 4 seconds to go thru a door.

The sbreset is a hook for putting the character into a room exactly in the same spot facing the same direction every time.

Has worked on every version of windows since I started using AcTools.

With yours, could be a conflict in memory where AcTools resides and another driver or program is in the same memory.

I only use this current computer for my 4 games, everything else is done on my laptop.

Hope this info is useful for you.

/////////////////////////////////////////////

Procedure runtodock
  timestamp Run To Dock
  Call sbreset
  delay 1 sec
  MousePos 840, 300
  keydown {right} .787 sec
  delay .3 sec
  keydown a 4 sec
  Call sbreset
  delay 1 sec
  keydown {right} 1.51 sec
  delay .3 sec
  keydown a 3.3 sec
  keydown {left} .2 sec
  keydown a 1.5 sec
End

//XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
procedure sbreset using point
  setmemory 00BDBB80, 0
  setmemory 00BDB1C0, $point
  say /starbase reset
end
//XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

have you tried it on vanilla windows 10 and not the stripped down GhostSpectre Pro Version you have? like i said, when testing things sometimes you gotta bring it down to everyday people stuff and not old beta versions or a modded version of something because 98% of the world uses the current version of windows 10. 

i tried running your script and nothing happens. again, gotta bring it down to the average person's mindset and simplify things. i notice some devs have this tendency to overcomplicate the most simplest things. if the user previously mentions that "Keydown d 2 sec Lags my computer", isn't that all the info you need to know?

yes it's a super tiny snippet of code, but sometimes the simplest thing is all you need to know and his small snippet of code actually runs albeit it locks up the PC when the keydown command is called, but it actually runs whereas your intricate code will appear like tech jargon that the average user will have trouble making heads or tails out of and when they try to run it, it doesn't execute anything unless more code is required for it to run.

and i think this is the disconnect between common users and power users, maybe it's because i speak their language that i instantly understood what he meant when he said Keydown d 2 sec Lags his computer. 

when you guys said you have no clue what he's talking about, if you were offered a million dollars to figure out what he's talking about would you be willing to figure it out then? if so then it's not a matter of if you were capable of figuring it out, it's whether or not you felt it was worth it to investigate it, that's all.

if someone truly care enough about a project they would be willing to dig up clues and experiment with it. since i care enough about it i actually went ahead and tested it on different computers and programs. I recently tested the keydown function on retroarch and it locks up my PC whenever the keydown is called upon. I really dont think this is normal behavior because i dont recall the keydown function freezing my PC in the past. i could have ACtool running in the background and it never halt my PC until the keydown seconds expire like this.

As for using actool, i figured out a solution days ago with the use of the leftmousedown command. nothing elaborate. i'm mainly reporting the issue now because i would like to see it fixed in the future.

I use a win 10 preloaded laptop for testing. A laptop for modded Os's and office and a tower for gaming. My macro that uses the snippet works fine on the original un-modded laptop.

I loaded Earth & Beyond, ran into a room and coded this as a simple test (below is the example code)

SetActiveWindow Earth & Beyond
delay 4 sec // Focus EnB Screen.
MouseClickDelay 100

Keyrate 70

keydown a 1 sec

keydown {left} .2 sec

keydown a 1.5 sec

With this code I know the keydown is working, as my avatar runs, turns left and runs a bit more.

My code in the above post is showing how I use keydowns, will only work in-game with the hook. I was trying to show how I coded the keydown command, If it worked for you, it would have surprised me.

As an example. A million dollars will not make his car run better when I'm tuning a lawnmower. We asked what he was trying to code or show his macro.

(A lot will not as they are trying to do something like code a CAPTCHA hack)

I have had a similar problem in one game using keydown and used leftmousedown and up, middle and right as well. When I reloaded windows and/or drivers and/or AcTools it worked again. So why it does it, I do not know,

BUT, I have coded a few macros and have them in a folder just in case it pops up again. Then I will go thru my code and try to work out what has changed. And go thru the reloading again.

I have approx 8000 macros running from 5 lines to hundreds of lines. I keep every piece of code, if I don't make a mistake and over-write it first (have done that a few times)

It's like having tens of virtual windows open above my head and trying to fit them together.

As The Wabbit will tell you, I started off very basic and used a lot of other members code to get my head around AcTools. I even pmed him and Bear and DaMob for help. I turned 63 on March the 12th, so if I can learn and use AcTools, anyone can. But that doesn't help you. sorry went off track as I'm coding a new macro for a game to see if I can.

Below is a small macro coded for Naurato i think, Someone wanted to click arrows as they changed for Mana. It shows how keydown code worked for the person who asked (his code was close, needed some tweaks, he used code from the forums to build what he had. I just cleaned it up and pointed him in the right direction (one million dollars...)

So, I don't know why your system is behaving like it is. I can only inform you of what I did, and show you some code that works for me and another member who asked for help with the Arrows Code..

arrows.zip

the keyrate script above still causes my windows to halt when keydown is called sadly. does the script pause on notepad for you? the wabbit mentioned something about it not working properly with notepad. so try it on notepad and let me know if it pauses the window where it says "Not responding" on your end too.

narrowing it down and and pinpointing the issue is how to get to the bottom of things. it's not so much for me, it's for everybody else. even if i'm capable of solving it or finding a workaround, my way of thinking is more about how the tool works out the box for others. 

it'll be like if someone is annoyed that youtube removed the dislike button and they're told that they can simply bring it back by using an extension. sure i'm capable of bringing it back but most people arent going to be installing extensions and youtube knows that.

i got a playstation classic and i modded it with Project Eris and Autobleem which is a mod that lets us put retroarch on there, and on default the video driver is set to Glcore instead of GL, and i tell those guys they should set it to GL because it makes psp and dreamcast games run so much better. But they dont and it annoys me when i see people playing it on youtube with reduced frame rate and slowdown, even though i know i can do it i'm more thinking in terms of the product and first impressions because the average person isn't going to be tinkering with that stuff, usually you only have about a 15 minute window of someone trying or playing something before thy decide to uninstall it and move on to a alternative.

it's like how when the PS2 came out and people were annoyed that it only had 2 controller ports, many people on the forums told them to simply get a multi-tap. problem solved. but is it really solved? Game companies know that the average user isn't going to buy extra peripherals or add-ons, so what ended up happening is we hardly saw any 4 player games developed for the PS2 when compared to the n64, dreamcast, and gamecube.

it'll be like someone saying, if u dont like either of the two candidates, simply vote third party, simple, there problem solved. but is it really though?

so yeah i can probably install/reinstall drivers and optimize my system to get it working properly, anyone is capable of learning or doing anything if they're willing to devote a great deal of time and effort. i just dont think the keydown feature should require this much effort when it should be a flagship feature so i'm putting it out there more to get it fixed cuz clearly it hasn't if people from 2020 addressed it and people on the site still dismiss it and dont wanna acknowledge it being a issue

Edited by pon

Tested, works fine.

ExecProgram notepad.exe
Delay 1 sec
SetActiveWindow Untitled - Notepad
Delay 1 sec
keys Untitled - Notepad opened
keys {return}
Delay 1 sec
keydown p 3 sec
keys {return}
keys Key p held down for 3 seconds

did yours show multiple P's after it was held down for 3 sec? or did it just show 1 p. I tested your script and it doesn't freeze up on mine, however when i extend it longer it does. can you try setting it to 13 sec. Also mines show 1 p.

I also tried the keydown script in a ps1 emu called duckstation and it froze up there even when it's only 3 seconds

Edited by pon

Okay, I am going to respond to your three posts in. But, I will not be able to do respond to all of them in just one post. So, please hold off on responding to my posts until I have finished responding to all of yours.

On 3/20/2022 at 2:06 PM, pon said:

regardless of what game it is the keydown function isn't working and causes Windows to pause. isn't that what development is all about? users submit issues and developers look to fixing it instead of dismissing it if they truly care enough about their project.

That is where you are wrong. In order for any developer to test and diagnose a potential problem/bug with their program. They have to have all of the information they can get.

This includes, but is not limited to:

• The version of the developer(s) program that is being used.
  • The Operating System, including the Edition of that Operating System (if there is different editions).
  • The Operating System's version. (This is not the number that may be apart of the Operating System's name.)
  • What other programs are running.
  • What programs, and services, are running in the background.
  • Detailed instructions on how to reproduce the problem/bug.

And in the case of programs like AC Tool. Then the developer needs the following information in addition to the above:

• The name of the game or program that the macro/script is for.
  • If necessary: The name of any programs, and specific version of, that are being used to run the game or program.
  • Game only: What keyboard setting needs to be made in the game, in order for the macro/script to work.
  • Game only: If the game can be modded. Then the name of all the mods being used, along with links to where to get the specific mods.
  • The FULL and COMPLETE macro/script that is being used. Even if that macro/script is still being created.
  • Game only: The location within the game that the macro/script is used.
  • Detailed description of what the macro/script is supposed to do.

But, if the problem the user is having. Is getting their script to work the way they want with the game. Then the developer(s) typically only needs the following:

• The version of the developer(s) program that is being used.
  • The Operating System, including the Edition of that Operating System (if there is different editions).
  • The name of the game or program that the macro/script is for.
  • If necessary: The name of any programs, and specific version of, that are being used to run the game or program.
  • Game only: What keyboard setting needs to be made in the game, in order for the macro/script to work.
  • Game only: If the game can be modded. Then the name of all the mods being used, along with links to where to get the specific mods.
  • The FULL and COMPLETE macro/script that is being used. Even if that macro/script is still being created.
  • Game only: The location within the game that the macro/script is used.
  • Detailed description of what the macro/script is supposed to do.
  • Detailed information of what the macro/script is actually doing. With information as to where in the macro/script the problem is.

Now if the user does their own testing. And that test is done on multiple of other systems. Then the developer(s) need the same information for each system that the user did the testing on.

And yes, it does matter that the developer(s) have this information. Because the developer(s) need this information to test and attempt to reproduce the problem. And hopefully diagnose what the actual problem is. Whether it is a problem with the program or some other program.

For AC Tool, since the information is posted in the public forums. It the information is there for others to use to perform their own tests. To verify that they are, or are not, having the same problem.

Believe me, Echo loves helping out in that regards. And he's not shy in telling me if he having a problem AC Tool. And he also let's me know whether or not he is having the same problem as that user may have reported. And he does so here in the forums.

And all I got from you was a post with its title stating "Keydown causes my PC to freeze", two lines of code, a stated that you tried it on two computers, and a vid showing you using the code with Notepad. And that Notepad was becoming unresponsive.

i imagine the keydown function is common usage.it'll be like me hitting up microsoft saying the Right-click button causes the PC to crash. And if I notice the issue on multiple computers and other people mentioning it too then I know it's not just a issue on my end.

It can be, it just depends on what you are trying to do with the macro/script.

it'll be like me hitting up microsoft saying the Right-click button causes the PC to crash. And if I notice the issue on multiple computers and other people mentioning it too then I know it's not just a issue on my end.

What!? Why'd you mention this?

If you must know, I use the right click function since Windows 3.11, and Windows 10 did have a issue with it causing the desktop or file explorer to freeze. They eventually fixed it as they should.

No, I did not need to know. And I did not ask you about this. So, there was no need for you to state that I had to know this. As if I had pressured you to tell me.

as for the keydown function in ACtool, i've been using it since Windows XP for games like Maple story. I've also used it in Windows 7 to help assist me in a project.

I am glad that you have attempted to use AC Tool for your gaming projects since Windows XP. I had started using AC Tool back with Windows 2000. Making macros/scripts for Earth & Beyond. I even did one of the very first macros for Maple Story. (It was very small and very simple. All it did move the character forward a fraction of a second, attack for a few seconds, then repeat. With every so many times of moving forward, it would pickup any drops items.) But, there isn't a day that I do not learn something new about AC Tool or how to use it with any particular game.

I can't recall if I used it in windows 10, but I would like to use the function. What game or program it was used for is besides the point as the keydown function isn't working like it's supposed to whether it's with notepad, videogames, emulators or macros

Again, what game or program is not besides the point. And the KeyDown function is working properly. You originally stated that KeyDown is causing your PC to FREEZE. Your own video does not show that your PC was FROZEN. But instead, the program was that Notepad became Unresponsive for a about 8 seconds. The whole time you were moving your mouse around the desktop. Even when Notepad was unresponsive. And the letter 'p' appeared in Notepad right after it was no longer unresponsive. And the fact that you were able to go and create a vid show in its entirety the problem you are experiencing. Just shows that your PC did not Freeze.

also, I'm not a power user of Actool or anything, I only use it when i need it to help assist me in something like in my video above where I can't control all 3 players at once. After I achieve what it is I was trying to do I may not use it for years so it's not something I come back to often. I eventually found a workaround by using the LeftMouseDown instead of the keydown. However in the future I would like to use the keydown instead as it's more easier. I've also searched for this issue on this forum and found another user with the same problem back in 2020 and it was met with same dismissiveness as shown here.

First, I did not dismiss your post about AC Tool causing your PC to Freeze. In fact, I read the three lines of text, that gave pretty much no information. I watch your vid 30 times to make sure of what I was seeing in the vid. I replied to your post. Told you what the problem actually was. I even explained it detail so that you would hopefully understand. (Just like I always do for those people that I have never seen make a post before. Or those that seem to not seem to have some form of programming knowledge. I have literally written books in a single post when responding to others.) And then based on my own tests, I had even giving you how you can possibly fix the problem.

Then in you next post you state the following:

On 3/20/2022 at 12:20 AM, pon said:

is there a way to get it working with windows 10? it used to work many years ago. i mainly wanted the turbo button held down for a game. the above is a just an example. i've tried keyrate too and it also doesn't produce the effect i was looking for. i've also tried setting the controls to shift, left, right, instead of p. it all freezes the game until the seconds expire.

Heck, I didn't know which version of AC Tool that you were using. It wasn't until your fourth post, in response to Ego, that you even mentioned. You stated that you had tried KeyRate and that you didn't get the results that you wanted. But, you didn't tell me how you used it. Or even showed any code with it being used.

You even tell me that it didn't matter because you had come up with a work around. with the code for that work around and a vid showing the is supposed to be a macro causing your PC to freeze, which did not take place. As well as, showing the work around code doing something.

Besides the fact that your PC did not freeze, which what you have stated KeyDown is causing. The vid that you have posted, for which I have now watch 23 times, shows that the KeyDown function is working. Not only do you see Naruto's hand move as he bounced the basketball once. (BTW, what happened to the basketball? I didn't see it.) And you can hear the basketball being bounced the one time. Then the game became unresponsive.

And now my response to you statement about someone else reporting this problem. The post that you linked to, shows that the person stated that keydown {RIGHT}  <-----lags my computer. You even misquoted them on it with your response to Ego. I have two things to say about it.

1. The line they had shown had shown that they had used the command wrong. And I even mentioned that fact.
  2. They did not specifically state what they meant by "lags my computer."
  3. All attempt to get more information from the person in order to help them. Was met with zero information being given.
  4. This person reported that it was lagging their computer. That is not the same as what you have reported. You have report that it is causing your PC to Freeze. Even if I took their statement to mean that it is causing their computer to be slow, or be slower. That is still not the same as what you have reported.

For which, since I knew that AC Tool, because of the use of KeyDown, was not causing your PC the Freeze. I focused on the fact that Notepad was becoming unresponsive. I went through and looked at the code for the KeyDown function. And I further looked at the rest of the code for all of the functions for sending keys to a program/game. And what I had found was that the actual code that sends the key presses to the game/program, had not changed. It is the same code used from when I was using it Windows 2000. I know that it worked fine in Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 7. (Hell, you even stated that it worked many years ago. Meaning that you did not have problems with the KeyDown until Windows 10.) And when I did have a system with Windows 10 (versions 19H01 and 20H01). I had no problems with running any macro/script that I had created, that used KeyDown, for the specific games that I play. Even though I do not have a system with Windows 10 on it. I borrow one from a close friend of mine for testing purposes. I do this when I need to test for problems/bugs.

I then spent a couple of hours searching for reasons why programs were becoming unresponsive in Windows 10. But, since I had zero information that could help me to diagnose the major problem, or as you are so strongly suggesting is a Major Bug in AC Tool. I then responded to your post with tips as to how to hopefully solve the problem. Because everything that I have found. Shows that the main causes of programs becoming "Unresponsive" are:

• Drivers (for a lot of people it was drivers for Logitech wireless keyboards and mice.)
  • programs, or services, running in the background
  • Other programs, besides the above, that are running at the same time.
  • Once in a while it was a hardware problem. (But, since you tested on multiple system. I pretty much ruled that one out.)

The last two because the background programs and services and other programs running at the same. Can either interfere with other programs working properly. Or there might be a compatibility issue with said program or service. I had hoped that you would perform what I had suggested. And if you still had the problem, then I would have suggested two more ways to hopefully find out would was is possibly causing this.

But, instead. Your response was to write this diatribe about how I am dismissing your report.

Just, so that you are fully aware. Since my last post, I have been going over AC Tool's code for KeyDown, searching the Internet for possible causes for programs being unresponsive and possible ways to fix it. I even been looking into other possible ways of possible redoing that whole bit of code for sending keys to other programs/games.

And yet, you state that I have been dismissive about this!

yeah that's another thing about devs is their inability to recognize context clues. it's like u need to spell it out for them, they can figure out all this intricate stuff but incapable of basic simple stuff, u want me to wipe your ass for your too? figure it out instead of taking everything literal. if multiple people complain about freezing, whether it's the entire PC screen or partially such as the window, taskbar, or program then learn how some context clues but nope, i think most devs are prima donnas or autistic or something with their inability to grasp basic stuff.

they also have a hard time understanding analogies. i bring up right clicking because it's common usage. same with the keydown function, whats the point of everything else working if the most important shit is malfunctioning? instead of investigating it you stay in denial and cough up a bunch of tech jargon to cover up your failures and flaws. fix yo shit.

if i was to develop a program, i would be debugging and testing the hell out of it. especially if a flagship feature isn't working properly with numerous users. with you you'll dismiss something for 3 years because you're too inept to investigate it

i aint about to read all that pointless crap you posted. less time arguing over stupid shit, and maybe u can get something done. i addressed the issue already, it's on you if u want to investigate it or not but i aint about to bicker back and forth over u over meaningless stupid shit

thats why a lot of devs dont get shit done cuz they too busy thinking about dumb shit all day instead of doing the damn thing