Sign in to follow this  
The WABBIT

AC Tool Forums is back up

Today, I wish to announce the reopening of the AC Tool Forums. I am sorry that has been down and that it has taken so long to get it backup.  The reason the forums went down in the first place. Was because the old forums using IP Board v3.4.x required PHP v5.4-5.6 to run. It could be run using PHP 7.0.x. But, not with any version newer. And it was bound to happen sooner, or later, that the Website Host would drop support for PHP 5.X altogether. And that is what happened.

The fixing, or upgrading, the php code for the forums to run with PHP 7.1, or newer, was just to much of a task for myself and MysticDrew. So, I all could do was somehow migrate the forums to another (free) forum software. Or upgrade the forums to the current IPS Suite v4.x, the newest version of IP Board. When it came down to it, I really had not choice but to upgrade to the current IPS Suite.

WIth that in mind I am sorry it took so long to do the upgrade and to get the forums opened to all of you. But, with MysticDrews work schedule during the last month, or so, work on the forums was not possible. But, when we were able to work on it. We ended up coming across a few problems, sometimes major ones.

At this point the upgrade of the forums is complete. There is only two issues that has happened.

1. Some posts made between May 16th and May 30th, roughly about 3/4. (No posts were made to the forums in June.) Are missing. Sorry Bear, it looks like all the post that are missing are the ones you made on May 28th.
  2. During the moving of all the posts information to the new DB the forums uses. it seems that all posts have had an extra paragraph added to the posts. And this paragraph only has a single   in it. The paragraph is inserted in every post between every paragraph the post may have. So many of the posts have multiply paragraphs with just   inserted in them. I do not know how this could have happended. But, I was not going to go through the process of redoing the upgrade process in an attempt to fix this issue. Now, if someone, with more knowledge of SQL code, is willing to help me to come up with a sql scrit. To run through the DB and remove all the paragraphs with the   in them. I would be happy to do that.

Now with the new forums. There is one thing. The for our members sight is unable to handle the bright them IPS Suite has. The old dark theme, Deviant III, is not available for v4.x of the forums. As such I have gotten two dark themes and have installed them. They are not as dark as the Deviant III them but they are dark. If these themes are not dark enough please let me know and I'll see what I can find.

For those that do not know how to change themes. You can find a link at the bottom of the forum page that says Theme. Just select it and a menu will pop-up with available themes. Then select the one you want.

That is it. Again I am sorry that it took so long to get things up and running again. But, we are there now and the forums are OPEN.

The Â is happening because of an encoding issue. &nbsp is UTF-8, but for some reason it is displaying it as  ISO-8859-1 which shows the non breaking space (&nbsp) as Â. Not really sure how that happened, I assume you exported the DB as utf-8 and I imported it as UTF-8. 

Who knows. 

the DB, and tables, were changed from the UTF-8 from before to UTF8MB4, as required for the forum upgrade. But the exported sql file is UTF8, as that was the only option.

Looked all over the forums, I cannot see the themes link, either I'm just blind and not seeing it or it's not visible

11 hours ago, Ego said:

Looked all over the forums, I cannot see the themes link, either I'm just blind and not seeing it or it's not visible

Ok, I just checked that the themes were available for everyone. And they were set for everyone to use. So, I don't know why you were not seeing the Theme link. But, here is a couple of images to show you where the link is.

Image1:

Spoiler

Image2:

Spoiler

The theme link is there now, could be I needed to reload the forums after first log in?

But all is good, thanks for the info, soon as I wend down to bottom the link was there.

The Titan theme is nice

On 7/6/2019 at 5:00 PM, Ego said:

The theme link is there now, could be I needed to reload the forums after first log in?

But all is good, thanks for the info, soon as I wend down to bottom the link was there.

The Titan theme is nice

If only I could make the background a solid dark color.  Deflection sort of looks like a Kindergarten/Fisher Price type theme to me due to the colors used and the general layout used.

13 hours ago, DaMOB said:

If only I could make the background a solid dark color.  Deflection sort of looks like a Kindergarten/Fisher Price type theme to me due to the colors used and the general layout used.

Two of the themes allow the user to change the background. They have the option to use an image or a solid color. The Chameleon Dark theme and the Titan theme are able to do this. The problem with the Chameleon Dark theme the color backgrounds are not really dark. And my attempt to make them darker form the ACP has yet to bare fruit. So, try the Titan theme and see if the color background it has is dark enough. I'll try and see if I can adjust it's color backgrounds to come up with one that works.

To change the background, look for the following icon at the top of the page:

Spoiler