AC Tool Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DaMOB

Video card finally died.

Five years ago I purchased my 7870 video card (almost to the day You purchased this item on June 27, 2013) and on Sunday it up and died on me where no videos could be watched and BSOD after BSOD.  So, here I am with a dead 7870 and using a 4830 in W10 which means I have no drivers for it (last driver made for a 4830 is for Windows 8.0) and you would be surprised how much of a Windows system off loads a lot of work to the video card so it isn't just video games and videos.  What sucks beyond everything being in software render mode (including Windows itself) is that I went from 1920x1200 to 1280x960 so everything is so big it is like I am using a Fisher Price computer now.

I am used to buying vid cards that are 2nd from top of the line, top of the third of the line, for 200-250 (average 225) so no way am I going to spend 800 dollars for a card barely able to beat out the 7870 and I waited for a whole year (this Ryzen 1600 I built in June 2017) as more and more BSODs happened and finally card prices started to come down but 350 for what should be a 225 dollar card is not happening.

GDDR6 manufacturing has ramped up at Micron and news is new vid cards are due Aug/Sept but I wonder for how much?  No, matter because I hope this 4830 continues to roll on until I upgrade at a decent price not the BS they have had for a year now.

And nVidia is not going to be dropping prices any time soon. Because they are still trying to cash in on the use of their cards for cryptomining. The way I see it, they won't do that until the cryptomining how is dead. Or nVidia decides to release a card that can't be used for cryptomining.

And nVidia is not going to be dropping prices any time soon. Because they are still trying to cash in on the use of their cards for cryptomining. The way I see it, they won't do that until the cryptomining how is dead. Or nVidia decides to release a card that can't be used for cryptomining.

Well, funny enough for mining AMD is the better choice for the ones that caused this gouging to begin.

http://jkcrypto.com/amd-mining-vs-nvidia-mining/

I just had a BSOD and it was driver related so I used DDU and when I rebooted I was back in 1920x1200 and hardware acceleration in everything.  Pretty sweet for a decade old card but I lost the AMD control panel but no loss in this case.

As long as it holds me over until Aug/Sept when the prices should drop to make room for the next gen cards AND these damn BSODs stop.

Did you ever get a new video card? 

Yes, and it was the motherboard as well costing me so many BSOD.  I got a new video card, motherboard, and NvME.

I run a Ryzen 1600 at 3.8ghz at 31c idle on the new board (old board I could barely do 3.1ghz @46c because it demanded so much current).  Drive is 500gb Western Digital Black NvME.  Video Card is a GTX1060 6gb.  Oh, and the new board I even was able to O/C my ram so 3200 16-18-18-18-36 is now 14-14-14-14-32 for a few months now.

I am about to leave the Internet for a few months as Comcast jacked my pricing up so much this year that I have to be gone for 90 days to get the new customer deals but when I get back I am planning on getting a 3600 or a 3700 which, even the 3600 is almost twice as fast as my 1600 so a 3700 will be even better, but past the 3700 the price to performance ratio is just below what I am willing to accept.  Great chips but the sweetest spot is the 3600 and the 3700 is the next one but adds two more cores and four more threads.

sorry to hear the jacked prices. but, see you when you return. And good luck with the new system. wish that I could do the same.

I am using a 1hr pass via Xfinity wifi on demand.  It is free for 1hour per month and I needed some programs upgraded so I had no choice.  Lucky I could connect because the signal is very weak and I had to grab a better antenna.  Anyway I will get my Internet sometime in January as they are forcing me to wait 90 days. 

Just keeping you in the loop.

I am finally released from the digital Gulag with time off for good behavior, and my new service will be here next week and my new antennas will be as well and now I will not really need them THOUGH my public wifi went from 5 hotspots to 2 and those 2 are -70dBi, or worse, on a clear day so none too soon for me.  This is one month early and while it is only 15 down and 2 up I just hope it works (I really need 25 down and 3-5 up but Comcast charges for that (as in twice as much plus a ton of taxes on top).