AC Tool Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DaMOB

Windows 10

I am on Windows 10 now and not because I chose to but because I was forced to by every company you can think of.  See, I built my new system on Monday (Ryzen 5 1600 with 3200mhz DDR4 16gig vs my Feb 2009 build of E8500 DDR2 800mhz 8gig) and the first thing you hit is that Microsoft does not allow Kaby Lake, nor Ryzen, CPUs to use the USB drivers.  If you are in the recovery console USB3 works fine but not otherwise.  So, my motherboard has a shared PS2 port and I can do what I need with a PS2 keyboard.

Ten hours later I had finally managed to sneak in USB3 drivers so there were no conflicts in device manager and it worked.  I was happy then the knock down blow came when all drivers for my video card demand Windows 10 too.  Not a thing would install on W7 with my Ryzen but walk it over to my Mom's AMD cpu+w7 and no issues.  I gave up as I could see the writing on the wall and to be honest I am floored this is even allowed but I guess there is some legal loophole they are using to get out of their 2020 support date for even W8.x.

I hate this OS as it feels like a Teletubbies OS to me but I will have to use it though I turned off all snooping, and Cortana, that I could.  When I purchase my next SSD to replace my current one I am going to Linux which has no issues with Kaby Lake or Ryzen and any drivers but I play games and that still demands Windows.  Vulkan I hope changes that.

Hey DM, doing my thing, pop in once in a while for nostalgia's sake. Wow lots of changes. Hope all is well with Cam. He brought a lot of enjoyment to me in my life, and a lot of others. Wish i could shake his hand and tell him thank you from the bottom of my heart. Hat's off to Wabbit for picking up the flag and marching forward.

Man I miss the good 'ol days of AC. Was a sad day when they shut down the servers. I always thought I'd go on a 3-day drunk when that happened lol. Instead it was just a sad moment and a little piece of me died inside. But you know I wasn't playing it, i was just logging in twice a year for a few hours and running around to all the towns. The memories I have from those days are priceless and will always be inside me. Sounds all mushy huh? Well it was an awesome, awesome game and those days and nights in AC were real. Just a game? No way.

Me and my two pals from AC days (actually before, 1998) still play various games and we grumble about the new crap and also the dying genre that is MMO's. Greed sucked the life out of MMO's starting with the suits getting involved and F2P. Ah well.

My programming for fun has died down to a trickle, I do a little bit of AHK, VBA and Lua these days if you can call that programming, Never quite finished by C++/Python Civ IV project lol. Now they are on to Civ 6 but 5 and 6 were crap don't get me started.Funny how RL work at 50-60 hr weeks drains you down over the years.

Anyway I didn't really come here to bitch, came here to say hi and glad to see recent posts from the old gang. Howdy to all, Bear, Triane, I saw you in there, anyone I missed from back in the day. You know who you are, cheers.

Hey DM, doing my thing, pop in once in a while for nostalgia's sake. Wow lots of changes. Hope all is well with Cam. He brought a lot of enjoyment to me in my life, and a lot of others. Wish i could shake his hand and tell him thank you from the bottom of my heart. Hat's off to Wabbit for picking up the flag and marching forward.

Man I miss the good 'ol days of AC. Was a sad day when they shut down the servers. I always thought I'd go on a 3-day drunk when that happened lol. Instead it was just a sad moment and a little piece of me died inside. But you know I wasn't playing it, i was just logging in twice a year for a few hours and running around to all the towns. The memories I have from those days are priceless and will always be inside me. Sounds all mushy huh? Well it was an awesome, awesome game and those days and nights in AC were real. Just a game? No way.

Me and my two pals from AC days (actually before, 1998) still play various games and we grumble about the new crap and also the dying genre that is MMO's. Greed sucked the life out of MMO's starting with the suits getting involved and F2P. Ah well.

My programming for fun has died down to a trickle, I do a little bit of AHK, VBA and Lua these days if you can call that programming, Never quite finished by C++/Python Civ IV project lol. Now they are on to Civ 6 but 5 and 6 were crap don't get me started.Funny how RL work at 50-60 hr weeks drains you down over the years.

Anyway I didn't really come here to bitch, came here to say hi and glad to see recent posts from the old gang. Howdy to all, Bear, Triane, I saw you in there, anyone I missed from back in the day. You know who you are, cheers.

I no longer program at all except when absolutely necessary.

Nice to see you in here again and I do agree ACTool brought a lot of sweat and joy back in the day.  AC Fletcher was what really started it all for me and as Cam said I was thinking outside of the box when I had it stand there, and someone would ask a question out loud, and it would answer any questions it knew an answer (was in a database) but it would also fletch if handed the materials to make a batch of arrows, or fail which it would let you know if it did.  It was an awesome bot back then and is what got me ACTool when it was a paid item (we are talking about 16 years ago now....damn).