AC Tool Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DaMOB

I hate insurance companies...

I really do. I was told, so was my son, that he was the beneficiary and now that he is 1000 miles away taking care of business, as I am here, the insurance company pops it on him that she didn't have a beneficiary listed so I become the closest relative. That is all fine and dandy but now I will have to delay my move by who knows how long and the landlord is understanding but only to a certain point.

Fact is he will call them up today and find out wth is going on and if I need to step in afterall then here I come but I have had little sleep and wake up tired and have a short temper.

So, long story short we are in limbo and sometime today we will figure out what step is next so I can cancel my moving truck before the deadline else I will get a huge penalty.

I know they are just greedy son of a bitches but sheesh. When I talked to the landlord on Monday she said another of her tennants (we are leasing to own with 21 months to go) had her husband pass away in December and she is still farting with them so get ready she told me and damn if she wasn't right. My wife only had 1.5 times her salary in insurance so it isn't a whole lot in the big scheme of things but with them dragging their heels it is tearing us up since we just want all of this over so we can remember her in our own ways and move on with our lives.

I figure they will drag their heels for at least 6 more weeks which sucks as I need to call Comcast today and let them know what is going on PLUS they did not contact me nor do any work as they were supposed to but I already knew they wouldn't since I lived in Memphis for 2 years before I met my wife and they are the absolutely laziest bastards on this planet I think.

Just keeping you up to date on all of this as I am still cleaning out years (actually decades) of my stuff trying to reduce the number of boxes. Wife has 12 boxes of books (355mmX355mmX355mm) with each box having little to no dead space. Most are hard back books as she hated (so do I) softcover and to hell with Nooks and Kindles. SO UGH!!!!

I'm guessing the insurance policy doesn't state your son is the beneficiary?

How long ago where you told he was? and was it written down?

It always goes back to whats written on the policy, thats why the paperwork needs to be correct and updated as circumstances change

hope it gets sorted fast for you

Well, we were surprised she had one and it was only 3 weeks old because the company hired her from temp to perm and that is when the policy went into effect. It was the company that puts it out for all of their permanent employees in case of death as a good will gesture.

I was told by the company, and he was told by the company, and the company named him by name to me (they did not know his full name), AND even the insurance company said he was the beneficiary but suddenly they say she had none listed so I become the next of kin.

He was on the form the company called and had the people at the insurance company reprimanded because he was on the form just the insurance company didn't do all of the forms. Check will be to him in 2 or 3 days.

There is still a lot of stress and I honestly feel sorrow for my wife's son as he went to her hometown to bury her and found out just how bad every single last one of the family was. Without airing out of the dirty laundry he finally has wised up about 'back home' on his own. We tried to tell him for years but he always said he wanted to move back but no longer. They treated him, and his mother/ their sister, like absolute rubbish. Of course the two brother's hands were out for cash which my soft hearted son freely gave to them.

I will say this much (I am cutting out a lot of what happened) my step-son called me to get centered. He couldn't reach me yesterday as the phone went funky so he had his friends here come to my door so he could talk to me. He has done this two or three times over the last few years and that means a whole lot to me. He comes to me for advice especially when in the depths of hell with family (the old saying that when a family member passes on the family gets down right mean is 100% correct).

I am glad my wife was not alive to see just how bad her family is, even the one she dearly loved.

We just had something like that with a friend, her hubby died and his brother and wife came to her house demanding to take pictures of all the contents. He then tried to tell her she owed them $x for all the items or they would sell them (He is a lawyer and quite well off).

Our friend came and visited us in tears, we got her onto her own lawyer and then didn't sparks fly, her brother in law couldn't touch a thing even tho he tried his damnness. He thought our friend would give in and even buy her own items in the house, and he also tried to fleece the fund that was set up for our friends daughter and son.

Kept putting off the execution of the will. A judge told him to pull his head in, he should know better.

Funny how greed affects people

Yep, greed but this is deeper and I honestly can't name what is wrong but greed would be on the bottom of the list. I will say that the ugliness of people come out especially when someone dies. Funny thing is my wife used to talk about my family when I would bring up hers yet it was my family who was here within 4 hours of her death (they live 250 miles away) and have helped me even when I was in the hospital inbetween the moments we were allowed to see my wife. My family came here twice for 2 days at a time at 250 to 300 dollars each time and will be here this weekend again. They have asked for nothing and have given much while her family gave nothing and asked for much.

I am so glad we moved away 14 years ago because I had them all pegged and knew to get out of there. My son said the next time he comes into town there he will not tell a soul and just hang out at his grandmothers and great grandmother's place. They were the only ones worth a damn among all of them (even his own father) and his great grandmother is about to turn 99 and man is she sharp as a tack. Ask her directions and she will spill them out like it was nothing and she walks around on her roller like a 20 year old, or so I was told.

Yep, I was only 11 when my grandfather died and I remember all of the ugliness that ensued afterward. It was the catalyst that put me on the path of being a misanthrope.